Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bullet Response

After reading the story "Bullet in the Brain", I feel like Wolff tried to lighten the situation by putting a comedic spin on the story. The way that Anders laughed at the point of the gun and also was so sarcastic with the women, leads the reader away from the fact that the man may die an also that there is a robbery going on. This seems to help the story flow as well as encourage the reader to continue reading. At the same time, it also shows how different people may handle different situations. Wolff may use humor to stay calm in stressful situations.

Another thing that Wolff did, that I didn't really like, was using the vivid details to stretch the story. Not to say that they were not good but they were quite distracting from the plot line. None of them had anything to do with what happened. Other than giving the reader some background on how Anders' life may have been, I saw no point in having a page of vivid memories that weren't actually going through the mans head. I think it would've been more appropriate to go straight to the memory of the baseball game and explain more the significance of this memory in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment